Tuesday, August 18, 2015

White Pass - Snoqualmie, Wa

Mile 2292 - 2390

The clouds settled around us over night.  It was a hike this morning into White Pass.  By 7:30am 8 happy and hungry hikers sat on a bench waiting patiently for the convenient store to open.   30 minutes later the doors opened.  White Pass is home to a ski area, one motel, and a one pump gas station.  Most hikers send a resupply box here.  They have 5 small tables with chairs, and a hot bar full of fried food.  None of us wanted to overwhelm the single lady working.  
After a plate of biscuits and gravy that I'm sure I will regret later, we headed back on the trail.  
The clouds were still low and the rest of the day, the weather deteriorated.  By the time we reached camp the wind was gusting and the temperatures had dropped.  We were starting to see our breath.  Samson had caught up with us earlier and we all camped together.  The wind howled and rain fell most of the night.  I carried a pound of frozen Hot Pockets to eat.  They were thawed by dinner so no need to cook.  While getting warm in the tent I remembered my extra pair of socks.  Dry socks make me happy.

By morning everything was damp or wet from the day before.  The low clouds began to rise, but not enough to see much of the Sun.  We are hoping the rain reached the fire to our North.  The rumor on the trail is that 187 miles of the PCT are currently closed.  Not sure what will happen.  The PCT Association is working to get a reroute for hikers. No need to worry about it right now. That's another 120 miles from here.
We missed a full day of Mt. Rainier views due to low clouds.  After a warm lunch the trail sidled some alpine peaks that skirted the clouds.  4 mountain goats laid along the ledges.  
Shadow and I were getting settled in the tent when I said, "I think I smell a dead animal."  "It may be my feet." said Shadow.  

The sky cleared over night and gave us a wonderful view of Mt. Rainier to the South and the rugged Northern Cascade Mountains to the North.
The one good thing about hiking through logging country is that you walk by miles of ripe Huckleberries.  Shadow and Samson looked like bears pawing the bushes they went.  

It never fails, every morning we scare up Grouse in the grass near the trail.  It seems to be my morning adrenaline rush. 
We thought we had mastered the amount of food we carry, but the last 2 days our bellies have been growling.  Looks like we need to carry more food.
Today we stopped at Mirror Lake for a nice afternoon break.  Shadow caught a rainbow trout and I inflated my sleeping for a perfect lake float.  
Dinner tonight was our "Last Supper".  The night before town is always a feast of what is left over.  Looks like it's butter noodles, cereal, and jerky.
Tomorrow is a short day into Snoqualmie Pass.  It will be nice to have a hotel room for the night.  

2 comments:

Erma"Flame" said...

Hi Country Mouse & Shadow,
So glad you are blogging about your PCT adventure so the rest of us can live vicariously thru your words and photos. Great writing and great photos!
Love you guys, ~~Flame

The Former PK said...

What weather!!! But still beautiful. I cannot believe about the fires/closures. As you always say, the trail teaches you flexibility. Hopefully something gives or a new plan is hatched. You are soooooo close!!

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...