May 16th- Breakfast for 22 was prepared by our "Localivores" (people that eat locally) at Woods Hole Hostel, and afterward the four of us headed for Pearisburg with a loaf of homemade bread. California had been looking forward to the all-you-can Chinese buffet and a peanut buster parfait from DQ for a week. Luckily we planned ahead and made reservations at the 1 of 3, 1 star hotels in town. When we arrived they were all booked and even turning hikers away. Our hotel is pretty interesting. It's a three story Route 66 style place where people rent rooms by the month. The cops have visited one room twice now and there's a pit bull laying outside another. And it's a Monday night. Chores tomorrow and some horizontal time to rest the legs and feet.Here's a question: Why is it that my feet swell every time I sit down for a break and when I get up in the morning? I thought it was from all the sodium filled food we are eating, but Shadow isn't having this problem. I'm drinking plenty of water and should be sweating out most of the sodium. It feels like I'm walking on balloons! Any advice?Time to start thinking about changing out gear. Currently we have 10 degree sleeping bags with silk liners (to keep the bags clean) and just ordered 35 degree bags for the next couple months. Our sleeping pads are Big Agnes insulated pads that look like pool rafts blown up. We also ordered a White Box alcohol stove and MSR Titanium 1.3 liter pot to save more weight. Clothing will stay about the same. Currently I am carrying 1 button up shirt with roll up sleeves, 1 t-shirt, I pair of convertible pants, 1 vest, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 pair of running shorts, 1 bra, 2 pairs of underwear, 1 camisole, 1 capri pant for sleeping, and 4 pairs of socks since I now have non-waterproof shoes. Shadow is carrying 2 t-shirt, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 down jacket, 2 pairs of convertible pants with one set of legs, 2 pairs of underwear, 3 pairs of socks, plus a rainsuit for each of us.
Country Mouse and Shadow
Location:Elm St,Pearisburg,United States
No comments:
Post a Comment