Monday, November 6, 2017

Day 10 Dzongla-Thangnag - Walking on Frozen Water

If yesterday was a great day, today was one of the hardest days. We crossed our second pass, Cholas Pass (17,782 feet).  It wasn't that this pass was harder.  In fact it was easier that the first.  Easy is a loose term.  After leaving the most beautiful setting for a tea house, Dzongla, we walked up the valley to a rock climb where our hiking poles were useless.  Once we crested the climb, our next obstacle showed itself.  White and cold, the Glacier was to be climbed.  Unlike the last glacier crossing, this was on the snow field.  If you didn't know where you where, you would guess it was a ski slope.  We made it to the top just in time for the clouds to roll in.  Surprisingly Shadow and I are still struggling with the altitude.  My gut goes on lock down and we both get lightheaded.  Shadow's cough continues.  The way down was long and cold.  Too cold to stop for lunch or a break for that matter.  I have never been so happy to see a tea house as I was today.  We crashed in the warm commons room and ordered hot Ginger tea. Nausea is my altitude sickness.  Shadow gets headaches.  Everyone is different. 


*Warning* Rant Ahead -

I'm sure by now you have noticed the long purple skirt I am hiking with.  I choose this for a few reasons.  One it's easier to pee on the trail without mooning everyone.  The other is a sign of respect to the culture here, especially the older women who run the tea houses.  Most women trekkers were in hiking pants or spandex running pants.  I wear those under the skirt.  I say all this to explain a question that was asked to me this morning just before the rock climb by a guy passing by.  "Why are you wearing a skirt?", he says.  Uh.  What?  I thought to myself.  Instead I say, "Why aren't you wearing a skirt?"  I mean. Really?  "Is it a religious reason?", he asks.  Ok.  So now if a woman wears a long skirt it's because of religion?  Seriously? 

Just because I'm not wearing what everyone else is I get questioned?  Move it along buddy!  I wanted to say.  Shadow told him, "It's to respect the local culture."

"I respect that.", He says and walks off.  Whatever Dude in your Patagucci!  I take that back.  I wear Patagonia too








1 comment:

Erma"Flame" said...

Up until a few short years ago most women wore skirts. I almost always wear a skirt while backpacking for some of the same reasons you do. And besides, I'm a "girl", and wearing skirts makes me feel more feminine, and that's O.K.
Keep hiking and keep blogging!
~~Flame

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...