Today I received a call from Shadow. He was 2 miles into a short run when his right foot had a sharp pain. He stopped, turned around, and started walking back to the car. As he hobbled, his foot began to swell. With his right shoe in hand, he made it back to the car and called me. After 24hours of rest and ice he proceeded to walk in clinic where and x-ray showed 2 fractures. Needless to say, his last week in Southern California was hard for both him and Judy. No running, no walking, no biking. Just reading, watching tv, and beer drinking...does anyone feel sorry for him? I didn't think so.
Looking back on our decision to leave everything that was normal and comfortable in March of 2011 was the worst thing we could of done. I say that because we have tasted freedom and now that is what we crave. I had fallen victim to some form of a depressed state since leaving Catalina Island. Losing my motivation to write while searching for our next big adventure. At the time I couldn't pin point my problem. I have a dream job, a husband that is willing and able to go anywhere, and a dog that just want to smell the wind in her face. Shadow and I simultaneously began catching up on our friend's thru hiking blogs and called each other. It was if we both began breathing pure oxygen. Eyes wide awake. We both agreed that something must be done..but what. I tearfully continued catching up on each blog while feeling like an idiot in the Cleveland airport and Shadow went back to his "rehab".
![]() |
| Shadow's broken foot. |
![]() |
| Our new wood floors. |
Country Mouse and Shadow


1 comment:
BJ & Clara,
We hope Shadow's foot heals quickly. We have been enjoying your blogs, keep up the good work.
Greenstone & Thimbleberry
Post a Comment