Day 9
Our last full day in Cuba started as usual with the local roosters crowing.
I stood outside the door way with our homestay manager. A guy on a bicycle came by and stopped in front of her. "Buenos Dias." He said followed by "shrimp.shrimp.shrimp." She said no and shooed him away. I didn't understand what happened and asked her to explain. She laughed and said that it's illegal to buy shrimp and lobster outside of the government, he was trying to offer her his catch. The concern for her is that she didn't know him and that it isn't unusual for the government to be watching. Like everyone else here, she has her own connections. This may a socialist/communist country, but capitalism is thriving underground. Many Cubans have tattoos. BJ asked someone where the tattoo places are. Once again, it's illegal here, but there's always a back room. No one abides by copyright licenses here either. Some family has restaurants that are called McDonalds with the famous yellow arches. They sell hamburgers from the front room of their home.
Cuba is a beautiful country with super friendly people. A place so close to the US, but seems so far away. I plan to add a post on tips to make your trip to Cuba easier.
2 comments:
Wonderful posts! I still don't understand the lack of hot water & toilet seats? Is it bc the govt owns & controls so much. I have also heard the 1950s theme associated with Cuba before, but I don't understand why. Hopefully tourism $$ will help build the country up. I'll look forward to your post on tips for travel!
So ... What's next? I know you are asking us the same & we don't have answers yet.
Fantastic analysts and observations. Enjoyed the lovely photos. What a great adventure!
Samson
Post a Comment