Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Comes a Time

October 3 Mile 2176-
I can't believe that tonight we lay in a shelter at the base of Katahdin. All the hard work, all the long days, all the rain drops, all the sunsets, and sunrises on the AT have ended. Tomorrow we rise before day light to begin our final hike.
The rain continues to fall making this day 3 of no sun and a constant mist.
Like most of the gossip on the trail, I'm not sure I would call the last few miles a cake walk. The collection of rain over the last few days made our last 2 fords difficult. Both were about thigh deep and in the last few steps of the second one I fell on a slippery rock. I had made it across safely when I stepped on the last rock to get out. The rock moved and I lost my balance. My butt landed on a rock, my pack was submerged, and one of my camp shoes I was using to cross slipped off my foot at took off down river never to be seen again.
When we sloshed into camp Die Hard had found some dry wood and had started a fire. The rain had become a mist again and we all tried to dry everything we could to stay warm for tomorrow. Pigeon and her friend stopped by to surprise us with doughnuts and cheeseburgers for dinner. We stuffed our faces in hopes it would help keep us warm through the night and prep our bodies for the climb.


Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...