Before heading out to Ruidoso, NM we took a drive to Lincoln, NM which is said to have been the wildest town in New Mexico. The one street town is full of historical signs and museums documenting the town's past. I guess it could still considered a wild town being that someone tried to brake into our car while we walked the street. No damage was done luckily. Lunch was eaten at the only motel in town where we met the cook who was a drifter like us (to the extreme). She spends the winter at Slab City, CA. A town that has no utilities in the California desert. It's a place where people gather to live in anarchy.
After Lincoln we past the birth place of Smokey the Bear. For those of you that don't know the story about Smokey, here it goes. He was found as a cub during a forest fire in the area. All four of his pass were burned. He made his way to the National Zoo in Washington DC were we serve the rest of his life. After passing way, his body was shipping back to Captian, NM were he was found.
Our time at Ruidoso was full of wildlife sighting and unfortunately to little snow left to ski.
Apparently some people who RV out West don't stay in RV parks. The West is full of Bureau of Land Management areas (BLM) where you can stay, up to two weeks in one spot, for free.
On our travels to Silver City, NM we passed the largest pistachio in Alamogordo and the White Sands National Monument. I had been once before when I was 16 so I had Shadow pulled over for a lunch break and took a drive around the loop. It was Easter and both of us were shocked to see so many people. I felt like we were at the beach...minus the water. Families set up like they were tailgating. Volleyball nets, BBQ grills, music playing, and children with sleds sliding down the dunes. I guess that's what people do around here in the desert. We got back on the road and caught I-10 outside of Las Cruces. About 20 miles West of town we came across a US Border patrol checkpoint. Everyone was taken off the road and into a hanger like structure for inspection. Beulah was waved through with flying colors.
We arrived at the KOA in Silver City where the owner was nice enough to discuss our hiking plans for the Gila Wilderness after work.
![]() |
| Shadow Lane |
![]() |
| Party at the White Sand Dunes |
![]() |
| Sand Lizard |

![]() |
| West Bound |
Country Mouse and Shadow




No comments:
Post a Comment