We continued 5 hours South to La Paz. La Paz was the whole reason for this trip. This past December we rented a catamaran in Antiqua with some friends. That trip inspired us to learn to sail.
The next morning we boarded a 38' Catalina sailboat with an instructor and 2 other gentleman for a 6-day live aboard class. The class included ASA 101-104 and if we passed, we would be able to charter a boat on our own.
To be honest I thought that their were too many people on the boat to be comfortable. Being a couple taking the class, we were given the v-berth (biggest bed on the boat). The hatch over head was a perfect size to slide in and out onto the bow. We all learned quickly how to maneuver around each other. Shadow and I are used to living in small spaces but not with others.
Our days were spent learning the ropes, or should I say lines. Between sailing we would anchor in a cove for lunch where we would have time to snorkel or paddle board. Duties on the boat would rotate so everyone would have a chance to learn. Of course if wildlife was seen, class would stop. The wildlife sighting included dolphins, sea turtles, manta rays, tropical fish while snorkeling, and the bioluminescence. My favorite! In the evenings I would hang my arms off the side of the boat and swirl the black water below with the mooring stick. The water would light like stars as the stick would disrupt the water and ignite the bioluminescent below. I felt like a witch stirring my brew.
We took our final test with everyone passing and headed back to La Paz. Shadow and I were ready for down time and some space!







No comments:
Post a Comment