As Becky and Kelly drove us to the top of Springer Mtn. We saw a beautiful owl sitting in a tree. The 4 of us decided that it was a good luck symbol. We hiked 5 miles our first day and had a great time with great weather. We found a camping site early due to rain coming in that night. It was a perfect spot right by a Three Branch Creek. The morning brought rain and dense fog. Anyone ever tried to take a constitution in the rain?We unknowingly hiked 10 miles today. Thick fog followed us through the G.A. mtns. Although the temperature was perfect, everything was damp. Met JayJay from Pikeville, thats (Pakvulle), Kentucky. A mid-50's lady from Idaho blew past us and we met an under-achiever from Germany. He's a pharmacist going to law school. On night 2 we squeezed into one of the last spots at Gooch Mtn. Shelter. There were roughly 30 others around us that evening. It was beautiful coming up the foggy mountain side and seeing everyone's brightly colored tents like a oasis.Day 3 started with a line to the shelter privy. Maybe pooping in the rain wasn't so bad. I had dreams of my old life. What a harsh reality it was when I opened my eyes. We are paying for our 10-miler yesterday. Our puppies are barking! We found our first "Trail Magic". Two ladies set up a roadside lunch stand and fed everyone sandwiches and Gatorade. Mine was was pimento cheese, but I couldn't tell you what it tasted like, because I just swallowed it without chewing. I've decided what Mom and Dad need to send in our first care package, truffle oil! Don't ask me why, but my foodie side is trying to cope with the Ramen noodles. We have gotten into a little groove by stopping every hour and having a snack whether we are hungry or not. This keeps our energy and water intake up. I must thank Becky and Kelly for giving BJ some BBQ sunflower seeds to snack on. I scoffed at them this morning, but was begging for them by the afternoon. We stopped early today by a nice creek, washed clothes and are trying to get some much needed rest before Blood Mtn. 4,400feet, our highest yet. If this entry goes through we are 7 miles from Neels Gap, our first stop is mile 23.
Sent from Clara's iPhone
1 comment:
Nice pictures and great description of the adventure-to-date. Are you sure you fly planes for a living or are you really a writer incognito?
Post a Comment