Where do I begin... For the second day in a row we have spent 9-10hours concentrating on every step of every foot. We are exhausted by the time we reach the hut. Shadow vented his frustration this afternoon by echoing, "Is that all you got trail?" We made our goal of Top Waira Hut as the clouds chased us down from the Mt. Ellis. There's a lot of pressure while hiking this section. Pressure to make the distances to the hut since it's rare to find a flat spot for a tent. Pressure to push because it may take you longer to hike this section. Maybe we let all the South-Bounder's (SoBo) stories get in our heads. Yes, the terrain is difficult, but we seem to arrive at the hut around our normal time. If you ask me, I am not enjoying myself and haven't for the last two days. I don't mind a challenge, but I also want the freedom to enjoy myself and the surroundings.
While I have been too busy complaining, I forgot to tell you about our first NZ ground bird sighting. A Weka was hanging out by the water tank at lunch. He looks like a colorful cross between a duck and a chicken with a long beak. We listened to him call during lunch.
The forecast is for rain the next few days. Because of that we have two concerns. One, that we are stuck on a ridge unable to see the trail markers. Two, that we are unable to cross the rivers that rise quickly here. Tomorrow's hike is in limbo. The rain will dictate how far we get.

A Weka.

Heading to the Red Hills in the distance.

My. Ellis


Down to the hut.

Our trail down to the hut!
Country Mouse and Shadow
No comments:
Post a Comment