Mammoth was a super easy town to resupply. The buses were free and went everywhere.
Where we are heading.By 9:45am the next morning we were back on the trail. Today was a long 3,000 vertical foot slog, but if today is anything like the next 8-9 days, it is going to be awesome! After lunch we ran into a girl we met back at Walker Pass. I wrote about her being excited to see another human. She is Doing great. Slow and steady with big boots and a heavy pack still. After our big climb to cross Duck Pass the trail descended to Purple Lake. The rocks around this lake are not white granite like most others, but purple and orange. Another climb to 10,300 feet and we were home for the night at Virginia Lake. We skirted a mountain that had shed part of its shear wall. An enormous pile of boulders laid by the trail. Or maybe the trail laid by the boulders. The last few miles before camp we followed some type of small horse print. Sure enough, when we arrived at camp two burrows were grazing! A couple used them as pack animals. Now that's what I'm talking about. Dinner was served lake side. There was enough of a breeze to keep the mosquitos away. As the Sun slowly sat behind a mountain the trout began to jump. Shadow fished while I wrote. He caught one 10-inch Rainbow Trout. Honestly I can't imagine a better evening.
Perfect spot for dinner.









No comments:
Post a Comment