Monday, June 29, 2015

Mather Pass - Sierras

Today was our hardest day so far in the Sierras.  As with every other pass, this one was gorgeous.  We started our 4,000 vertical foot climb at the "Golden Staircase".  A crazy steep set of short switchbacks with giant steps of granite going up.  At 9am it was hot.  We took a break in a shady rock crevasse before continuing up.  Lunch was after the staircase at Palisade Lake.  Shadow caught a couple trout then took a quick dip.  It was too cold for me so I dunked my shirt and skirt.  
Our highest pass yet, with the farthest view.  The pass itself was pretty skinny and exposed.  The way down was much more gentle than the way up.  I think we would have stopped early today if we had found shade.  The sun is strong and the air is dry at these elevations.  No complaints though.  This is much better than slogging through the snow.  
We ran into a hiker we have crossed paths with 3 times now.  He flipped like us.  His name is Czech Mix and is from the Czech Republic.  We met him for the first time at Walker Pass (mile 562).  He had turned around because of a snow storm and we kept going.   Saw him again just south of Chester (mile 1300) going North after he skipped the Sierras because of snow.  Today we all agreed that the next time we see each other it needs to be with a beer.  He wants to change my name to Motor Mouse.  I guess because he thinks I'm fast, but I'm NOT built for speed.

The Golden Staircase!

Where we came from.



Where we are going.







View from the top.

The other side.

Where we are going.

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...