This morning we began our accent to Silver Pass 10,700 feet. Shadow and I tried to stop for a break near a creek and were swarmed by mosquitoes. There were so many, I couldn't get my bug spray out fast enough and decided to keep walking. Shadow fought them back with 100% DEET. When he caught up to me he was covered in dead mosquitos. I'm really shocked that they can even live this high.
The more we climbed the more glacial blue snow fed lakes we found. Near the top 2 marmots sunned themselves, a giant rabbit hopped by, and a baby chipmunk the size of a mouse sped passed us.
It really hurts my feelings to descend 2,500-3,000 vertical feet because I know that there's always pay back.
Selden Pass
If there is such a thing as an easy day in the Sierras, today was that day. A big, but mellow climb to Selden Pass (11,000 feet) then mainly down hill. 20 miles by 5pm and we weren't even rushing! The last part of the day had us walk through a gorgeous canyon following the San Joaquin River. The Summer Solstice was today. If you are on the trail, it means "Hike Naked Day." We only saw 2 hikers wearing underwear only. It was only 10am and their chest and back were red like lobsters.
When Shadow and I decided to go SoBo after running into snow, we had our doubts that it was the right decision. Now, looking back, I have to say it was a perfect decision. The weather has been warm enough to enjoy the streams, lakes, and rivers we pass. We end the day with dinner by the water discussing if we have eaten our allotted number of snacks for the day. Shadow is convinced that I had an extra one yesterday...









No comments:
Post a Comment