Friday, April 19, 2013

Between Giants and Smurfs

April 17th & 18th
The day was long. After going to sleep with the rain and waking up with the rain, Shadow and I both knew it would be a long hike in the rain. When it's an all day rain while hiking you simply put your head down and walk. While staring at the ground for hours we noticed these little blue mushrooms sprouting. We also passed some of the largest trees we have seen so far. Giant trunks with roots laying on top of the ground as large as normal trees.
That evening we made it to a nice and dry hut with a fireplace. Shadow chopped the wood and I started the fire. Everything we carried was wet and drip drying inside.
The morning brought an end to the rain. Most of our things had dried and it was time to continue North.
All the water had turned the trail into a mud pit. I use the term trail loosely because it was more like an obstacle course. We scooted across wet logs over creeks. Climbed over and down trees. Slid across mud puddles. Did the limbo under low hanging vines and bled from sticker plants.
Hunters mark campsites off the trail by hanging empty plastic jugs or colorful tape. We had just past a red jug marking a side trail when I went around a large downed tree and lost the trail. Shadow and I split up to find it again. After a few minutes he found it and I followed. Back on track we soon passed the same red jug! We were indeed back on the trail, just going the wrong way. If it wasn't for that jug, there no telling how far back we would have hiked.



Smurfs!








The Trail


The Trail



Country Mouse and Shadow

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...