The last 3 days of our canoe trip were easy, calm, & relaxing. No one swam. We didn't tip the canoe, although I panicked on most of the rapids. We ate well and saw an amazing part of New Zealand. Our second to last day was full of tall sheer cliffs with small caves and waterfalls. Outside of birds and ducks our wildlife sightings were of goats, sheep, opossums, and mice. The trip was classed as a "Great Walk" so we had to pay for camping and the huts. One hut host was a retired couple. They spend the summers alternating a week on the river and a week home. They greet the guests and keep the place tidy. That's the way to live.
We finished our Whanganui River journey and are now turning around and heading back North. Shadow looked at the map and discovered that we are 2/3 complete. I can't believe that it's been 3 months and only 2 to go!
One of these best things about long-distance hiking is that you can eat whatever you want. And I mean anything. The problem is that a week canoeing doesn't burn the calories that a week of walking does. Before the canoe trip I had to knot my belt to keep my pants from falling as I walked. After the canoe trip, I had to take the knot out...



Our view for the evening. Canoe on the beach.


A hiker breakfast

A NZ Flat White.
Country Mouse and Shadow
No comments:
Post a Comment