It's day 2 of our canoe trip and it was more exciting than I had anticipated it to be. The morning was cold and foggy. We wore all of our clothes to stay warm until the sun rose over the hills. Just before lunch Shadow stood up to pee off the canoe and fell into the river. I don't know what happened and neither does he. He peed off the canoe multiple times yesterday and no problem. All I know is that we were in a calm section of the river and he said that he was going to pee. 5 seconds later the canoe tipped and I heard a splash. I turned to see him clawing his way back in. The canoe rental guy said that if anyone falls in to take the canoe to shore before climbing back in. Before I could grab my ore to paddle to shore Shadow was tipping the canoe to scratch his way back in. I screamed and leaned the other way to keep from flipping. Have you ever tried to give a cat a bath? Well, it looked just like that. Everything happened so fast I'm surprised his shoes even got wet. Unfortunately his down jacket and thermal underwear did. We took an early lunch break to dry him and some of his things off before continuing on.
Most the river is flat water with the occasional class I or II. We got a little cocky towards the end of the day and almost flipped after being pinned against a rock cliff. Later we ran head on into a dead tree after misjudging a rapid. Luckily we made it to camp alive. Here I thought it was going to be a boring day with nothing to write about.
Yesterday was mostly farm land passing sheep and cows. Today we entered the National Forest. The river turned more into a gorge with tall sides covered in ferns trees and moss.
Last night was the new moon and the stars were brighter than normal. Here you can see the Milky Way as plain as day.





Lunch spot

Maori carving

Country Mouse and Shadow
No comments:
Post a Comment