I would like to describe to you our first dinner in Italy. We found a room at a local pension. The lady checking us in said we could have dinner for an extra 10 Euros. We were good with that since the main part of town was a half mile away and we were tired. Like most Pensions around here, they also had a sauna and a swimming pool heated like a hot tub. Dinner started at 7pm and the menu was prearranged, which was fine with us. Turns out, the 10 Euro dinner was a 6 course, 2 hour meal! Salad, fresh sliced raw zucchini with shaved parmesan drizzled with balsamic and olive oil, tomato soup with herbs and rice, next was pasta with tomato and olives, then seared roast beef and veggies, and finally apple strudel. Shadow and I shared the strudel while I chose Limoncello for my dessert. Shadow said we wouldn't sleep tonight, we would hibernate.
We have hiked 10 days with no days off so far. 10 days isn't the norm, but when you sleep in a real bed and have a real meal, your brain and mood is happy. Your body however is not. Plus we have some gear repair to do. The weather is another factor. Neither of us wants to worry about apline hiking in crappy conditions and we have had great weather so far. Rain is forecasted for the next few days and it's perfect timing. Merano is a half day away. Our first town that isn't based on snow ski tourism.
Karthaus is a small town we hiked through today. The whole town is surrounded with a stone wall from a monastery built in the 14th century. Signs with monk quotes laced the miles before and after Karthaus. We are also surprised at all the Catholic paraphernalia on the trail. Throughout the day we would pass at least 3-4 crucifixes made of wood or wood boxes with hand painted religious symbols inside. Even the mountain tops have giant wooded crosses. I know I'm in Italy, but there were just as many in Austria.
After Karthaus, we sidled out the valley and into the sunny side of the alps. Less humid and more of a dry landscape. Which just so happens, is perfect for grape growing. This section of trail stayed high above the Schnalstal Valley walking through farms and homesteads that offer a place to sleep and eat. When I say the trail goes through farms, I mean it. One we actually walked through the barn. I told Shadow today that I love the rustic side of the country homes and barns here. Although if I saw those things in the U.S., I would say it's red neck. I don't know what it is about Italy. Everything has beauty.
We also saw our first castle at a distance. Juval Castle is home to Reinhold Messner.
The views were picturesque looking down on thousands of acres of vineyards and seeing the winding road snaking up the steep hillsides.
Just before finishing our day at Giggelberghof Gasthaus, we turned a corner to see the amazing Dolomites mountains in distance. They are as beautiful as the photos. I can't wait to get a closer look.







No comments:
Post a Comment