Well, last night was our first and last night in a mountain hut. The springs in the 1930's bunkbed were shot and the morning's line for the water closet was NOT acceptable.
So it's 6:30am and I'm waiting my turn for my morning constitution (Too much info? Sorry). Shadow calls these bathrooms KimChi holes from his time in Korea. There's a stainless steel rectangle with foot rest and a hole. I actually just read an article about how our US toilets make us constipated so I'm open to it.
Anyways, I'm second in line when a lady in her mid-50's comes down in a nightgown/t-shirt. She waits and then decides to take off her shirt and stands there buck naked washing herself in the communal sink. Then a guy comes down around the same age and does the same thing! I am totally uncomfortable at this point and just want to use the bathroom. I guess my Puritan side is coming out.
Speaking of historical importance, Shadow and I had our DNA tested before heading to Europe. I'm a mix of Scandinavia and British and 1% Jewish, so Shalom everyone. Shadow on the other hand is practically pure-breed. He is 75% British. Most Brits are only 60%. After finding that out, our plan has changed. We will now head to Buckingham to find his room in the palace.
Shadow's shoes took a beating from the rock scramble of yesterday. Chunks of tread are missing for the bottom. So far mine are holding up, but new shoes will be on the menu soon. On our walk into town we passed a group of middle schoolers walking up to a hut for a class trip. Shadow would speak English to them and catch them off guard. We enjoyed making them think about their English studies. The older people are not as amused and we stick to our limited Italian.
We thought our timing to hit town was perfect, but again, we were wrong. The hotel asked of we wanted to order food at check in because the restaurant was closing till dinner. We said no, thinking we could find a pizzeria in town. After showering we meandered around and quickly find that there was no place to eat. Thinking our luck had changed, we walked into a place that advertised food to go. The lady working said that the kitchen was closed till 6:30pm. We eyed a croissant in the display case and ordered a bottle of chilled white wine to wait until dinner (2 hours). she returns with a pitcher of wine! Shadow and I looked at each other and knew drinking this much on an empty stomach would not be a good idea. I think the server agreed and managed to find some crackers and sliced meat for us to nibble on. Among other brilliant ideas we came up with while enjoying the wine, we decided that Dolomites translated to "Ass Kicking" in English. Another decision was that our next vehicle would be a 50cc Piaggio Ape with fenders and roll bar. It's a 3-wheel, one person truck that guys zip around town in.












1 comment:
About the toilets, I just recently discovered the "squatty potty" as well!! There's a great video about how we are all pooping the wrong way :)
Post a Comment