We left bright and early for another 10,000 feet of elevation change. I'm not sure if we are just getting strong, or if today was an easy climb. The hike to Similaunhutte Hutte took about 4.5 hours with a stop at Martin-Bush Hutte along the way. Lots of people hike this section as well because the pass is the highest on the Via Alpina (Around 9,1000 feet) and because this is where Otizi the iceman was found back in 1992. A monument stands where he was found. The pass also markers the border of Italy!
Shadow and I were very excited to reach our first Italian town. Little did we know that a border doesn't mean much. The people still spoke German and the architecture was still the same.
People we meet are surprised we are from the U.S. I'm not sure why. We passed a hiker yesterday from Israel. He was glad to speak with us and said we were the first English speakers he had met. When we ask locals how many U.S. citizens they see, the responds is alway same, 3-4 a year.










No comments:
Post a Comment