Tuesday, June 14, 2011

3 Month Review


WoW! 3 months I can't believe it. It's weird how time goes by out here. We passed a lady a few days ago that asked if we were in Grayson Highlands a few weeks back. The three of us looked at each other and had no idea where we were 3 weeks ago. Normally we can't remember what day of the week it is.
976.3 miles. That makes 376 for this month.
Time on the trail changes people both on the inside and the outside. Hair is growing and clothes are changing. Women hikers are hairy and men hikers are wearing kilts. At this point I think the only thing that would help is a pair of sheep sheers. Our eating habits have changed. Now it's about "feeding the machine". Not alot of chatting either because we are too hungry or too tired to keep a conversation. We have one pot to cook in and eat out of, so we share. Shadow was eating cereal one morning out of a ziplock baggie that had a hole in it. He simply covered the hole with his finger and continued to eat as the rehydrated powdered milk dripped onto the ground.
Shadow is losing so much weight that his body has eaten some of his muscle mass. Now you can see his collarbones poking from his shoulders. As for me, I'm not sure. There's a scale at Harper Ferry I plan to use. All I know is that I'm down 2 pant sizes.
We found out the other day, just how bad we stink. When California picked us up for his going away dinner he had his window down while driving. We told him to use the a/c because of the heat. He just laughed and said the air is on, he has the window down to cut the stench..
We have become water snobs. We hate the taste of tap water. The difference is amazing. Yes spring water is "earthy" tasting, but it's ice cold and after a while you can taste chemicals in tap water.

Things we miss:
Ice cubes, chairs, clean socks and underwear, our pets and family the most.
Things we don't miss:
24 hour news

We appreciate our family, friends, and fans for supporting us along the way. We have meet some great people so far and can't wait for the next three months. A Quick Shout out to Mama Bear Grizzle, Kathleen, the two guys on Roan Mtn., and California's family.


Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

2 comments:

California said...

No kidding, I can smell you guys from here ;)

I haven't gotten off the soda kick yet myself. I've been drinking a can or two a day since I got off the trail, where before I started hiking it was more like a can or two a week. It was what I craved all the time out there.

Anonymous said...

California! So great to see that you're doing well! Consider yourself lucky. I don't have the AT to blame, and still drink at least four diet pepsi's per day.

You guys made mile 1000! That's incredible. Thanks a ton for the shout out. It truly made me smile on what otherwise has been a challenging 24 hours! Nonetheless, watching your travels, the joys and the struggles has made me miss the trail myself. Can't wait to see you guys again in the future.

You've got the experience (and friendships) going on, and I'm thrilled that you're taking the time to relish in the journey. (you too, california. :) :)

Take Care, Love to all!

Mama Bear Grizzle ;)

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...