June 5th- Well, remember when I said that we were in a bubble? The bubble SUCKS! A bubble is a large group of hikers that for whatever reason has bottlenecked on the trail.We hiked 13.5 miles in record time to meet California for dinner. He was waiting for us with a case of ice cold Coke! What a friend. He picked us up and took us wherever we wanted to go. Shadow's Kindle broke this morning and we had heard that Target sells them now. After finding out there was a Target in town, I freaked out! It was like telling me I was going the Disney World. I hadn't shopped in 3 months. Under strict orders to keep to the list, I busted in the door and the race was on. After only 20 minutes I was out. It was painful, but I know that in a couple weeks I can shop again. Shadow ended up calling Amazon and after telling them he was a "thru hiker" they are sending him another one for free. We might be working the "thru hiker" story for a while.Early dinner was at Ming's all you can eat buffet. On the door going in was a FYI sign saying that the YMCA gives hikers free showers.We said our goodbyes, took a group photo and headed back on the trail for another 1.5 miles to Calf Mtn Shelter (southern SNP). The day had very little water so we plan to start carrying 1.5 liters versus 1 liter.Cruised into the shelter and was floored by all the people. All the campsites were full which meant one thing...shelter. Kicking and screaming I went. Flute said "Maybe it will rain tonight and our stuff will stay dry". Sure enough 30 minutes later a storm came and we were so glad our stuff was inside and dry. The last hiker came in before the rain started and said he saw a large black bear a little ways down the trail. There has also been sightings of a mama bear with 2 cubs running around. Fingers crossed they don't visit out shelter tonight.
Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)
1 comment:
Did California ever say exactly what it was that derailed him from his vision of finishing the trail? Is he going back to California, or staying in Virginia for a while?
Hope that you all stay safe and cool; we're still rooting for you!
-Mama Bear Grizzle :)
Post a Comment