June 6th Mile 880- 1AM I awoke to snoring. 2AM thought I heard a bear. 3:30AM Flute couldn't sleep and turned her headlamp on to read. 5:20AM got up. I hope that's the last time I have to stay in a freaking shelter. Headed out of camp at 6:30AM hoping to hike 19 miles. The terrain was easy, but the day was long. At one point we climbed a mountain so full of blooming Mountain Laurel that the forest looked as if it was snowing. We all carried extra water today and it was good that we did because there was an 11 mile stretch with none. Once we made the 11 miles in the heat, the spring that was .2 miles down hill, was dry and we bushwhacked another 100 feet for find another one. As much as I have enjoyed walking in dry shoes, we really need the rain. Our bodies gave out at mile 18 today. After all day of heat and lack of water, they had had enough. We pushed on the last 1.2 and made it to Loft Mountain Campgrounds this evening which was perfect. Arrived in time to shop at the camp store and not only did laundry, but also had a $1/5 minute hot shower, and boiled some hotdogs for dinner. To save time and steps, We ate in the store's side yard while wearing our rain suits and waiting for our laundry. Flute bought a can of chili which was awesome on the dogs after a long day. So far we have hiked 30 miles in the Shenandoah National Park. The views have been few and far between. Some hikers are even walking Skyline Drive to see more. 10 days to Harpers Ferry and 135 miles to go. Hoping for a zero day (no hiking) soon.
Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)
No comments:
Post a Comment