Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Country Roads


June 15th Mile 1005.7- Yep, that's right. We passed the 1000 mile mark today. There was no big celebration, balloons did not fall from the sky. No TV crews or musical montage. Just the three of us, burnt out from busting our humps to get to Harpers by tomorrow. We took photos and Shadow shared a shot of Jim Beam with a German lady. We are all so proud of what we did. It was a fight to the bitter end today. We finished the Roller coaster and Devils Racetrack after lunch, then hit the big 1000.
Ran into Pigeon, a thru hiker that has now turned section hiker. That makes  5 that we know of so far that have left due to injury and/or the heat.
Tomorrow is when we stop by the AT headquarters. You also get your photo taken as a thru hiker for the books when you finish in Maine. Hmmm... What should I wear. My 2 day old short sleeve shirt, or my 3 day old long sleeve. Technically I walked a half mile in a rainstorm this week with the long sleeve one so maybe it's cleaner. As for socks I have three pairs and they all are 2 days old a piece. It will without a question be a bad hair day so a hat is a must. We are down to 1 baby wipe, 5 drops of soap, 2 uses left of hand sanitizer, 1 Ramen noodle pack, 2 tuna packs, 3 Cliff bars, and 2 rolls of Smarties candy. I think we have finally figured out how much we need to carry for a week. 9.7 miles to Harpers then a week spending time with family. Maybe by the time I get back I will have the feeling back in my big toe which I lost 2 months ago.



Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO PROUD AND HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!ENJOY YOUR WELL DESERVED BREAK. WE MISS YOU AND ARE EXCITED FOR THE NEXT HALF. LOVE BECKY AND KELLY

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...