Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bubbles

February 18th - Day 41
We officially hit a hiker bubble. An iron fence post with an orange cover is where our paths crossed. The trail is marked by these when the area is exposed. 5 of them were from the States. It seems as though most of the hikers we have seen are from home. 4 stayed in Crooked Spur Hut with us. Shadow and I had a great time chatting about the hike so far. Usually our meetings are while hiking and only for a few moments, but last night was over dinner and evening tea. Our tent for the night was placed squarely in the adjacent paddock. Most huts have one and usually they are flat which makes them perfect for the night.
A common theme is that we are never as far as we think we are. Today I made the daily video on top of what I though was the highest point of the day. After filming, I used my monocular to look around (I love that thing). I saw two hikers on a higher saddle a mile away!
4 more Kea sightings. I have been assured that we soon will be in "Kea Country" and to keep everything close by. On hiker said he went to a creek for water while his boots were drying, only to find two Keas eating holes in them.
I'm not sure how our photos will come out on the blog. Although most of them look the same, blue sky, gray rock mountains, and golden tussock, I assure you they are spectacular in real life.


Paddock for our tent


Bush Stream


Road to Mesopotamia


Station's Helicopter








Our home for the night.

Country Mouse and Shadow

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...