Saturday, February 23, 2013

Riding the Combine

February 23th - Day 46
We made record time to the road into town this morning only to reach a gravel road with no traffic. When I say no traffic, I mean 3 cars in 3 hours and one was a tractor. All going the wrong way. We know it was 3 hours because we decided the best option would be to start walking towards town (25 miles). The road curved and hung to the cliffs on the Southside of the Rakia River. Which most of the time would be too high and dangerous to cross. After an unseasonably dry month the water level was "low". To us it still looked swift and deep through the main channel. We had our lunch over looking the river (Peanut butter and jelly crackers).
One of our biggest problems with this trail is the necessity to rely on local support when we reach a "break" in the trail. So far it's only been twice. The other hitches into town have been by choice.
As the third hour passed we became desperate. In the distance a dust cloud was being stirred up by a large farm equipment vehicle. I jokingly told Shadow that I was going to stick my thumb out when he got close. He said there was no way the farmer would stop. Wouldn't you know that he down shifted and pulled over. I started laughing and jumping up and down. The farmer opened the door, threw the stairs out, and said he only had room for one inside and the other would have to ride outside. It was a combine harvester. He threw our bags in the back and I jumped inside. He could only take us halfway and the speed was a little faster than a jog. The only lane bridges brought him to a complete stop to ensure clearance. When it was time to part ways he stopped, let us out, and left the gravel road. We watched him drive up the side of a hill to reach a high plateau barley field.
The next car that past stopped and said that he didn't think he had room. Little did he know that we were going with him. I said that I had short legs and didn't need much room. Shadow said that he would carry his pack on his lap. Crammed inside with dusty clothes and packs, we finished the hitch into Methven in time for dinner aka Tea.
We found a room at the quaint Alpenhorn Chalet. A small hostel with charm was our base for the zero day. We were dirty, tired, didn't want to pay crazy prices to eat out so I convinced Shadow to make dinner at the hostel. Not thinking about the dangers of grocery shopping after hiking for 11 days, we bought way too much food. Dinner was two large...large grass fed steaks ($9), a whole pineapple, salad with veggies, a loaf of bread, a bottle of NZ wine ($8), and a pint of berry sorbet. The owners of the hostel stared at us as we prepared dinner (Tea). And their jaws dropped when they saw that we almost licked the plates clean.


Country Mouse and Shadow

Sunrise


A-Frame Hut. Super Cute!

Here comes the fog.

Finding the way.



Rakia River

Lunch Spot


Our Ride


Someone else is hungry too.
Country Mouse and Shadow

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...