It was a tough climb up Breast Hill. What started as steep switchback trail developed into a steep straight up trail. The sign at the bottom said to plan for 3-4 hours. It took us 2:45 to climb 3,000ft. I guess it's safe to say we are getting in shape. Our first hut was the new Pakituhi Hut built in 2011. After arriving there a little past lunch, we decided to press on. Next was Stody's Hut. We were once again on an exposed ridge line with gorgeous views of Mt. Aspiring and the Southern Alps. Our trail was a dirt and rock road still in use. It made for fast hiking once on top. Stody's was off the ridge down an old farm track. This hut was an old Musterer's cabin. The floor was dirt and the walls were tin. As we sat to read the journal entry of a gentleman that use to work on the station that used this hut, a mouse scurried across the ceiling. The more we read, the more I decided to camp tonight versus fight the mice over my food.
Today I thought a lot about how this trail compared to the 3 major trails in the States. Population wise this compares to the CDT. Shadow and I are thinking that we may be the only 2 attempting a Northbound thru-hike. Exposure to the elements would be both the PCT and CDT. Wetness and crazy weather would be compared to the AT. The more I think about, this trail is in a league of it's own and hard to compare to others. Down to the Timaru river in the morning for some cold fording.

Lake Hawea and the climb up.

Almost to the top.

The ridgeline walk.

Stody's Hut

Country Mouse and Shadow
No comments:
Post a Comment