Friday, February 22, 2013

It's a bird, It's a plane, It's a Kea!

February 16th - Day 39 (I miss counted somewhere)
A few people have told us along the way that this hike did not go through the prettiest parts of New Zealand. That may be the case, but the beauty we have seen so far, I can't imagine how it could get much better. Most people come to NZ and do one of the Great Walks. I don't think the Te Araroa goes through any of them. Back in Macetown, outside of Queenstown, we were fording the Arrow River when two Land Rovers with snorkel kits, full of tourists, drove through on the 4WD road. I thought to myself how lucky we are to have walked this section for free versus paying someone for 2 hours. I also felt like a African safari animal...
We are back on the trail and off the gravel road. The next few day will be traversing through the Two Thumbs Mountain Range. Today we hiked to the Northern tip of Lake Tekapo where a braided river feeds the lake. Our high prairie walk gave us an awesome view of the river and lake. Shadow was the first to spot the bird I have been looking forward to seeing. The native parrot called a KEA. My parents had a friend that at some point lived in NZ and told stories about these curious birds. So far no close encounters, but I've heard to keep you backpack close. They are nosey. We also passed a small ski resort before heading down to the Coal River and up to Camp Stream Hut. Another old Musterer's hut built in 1898.















Camp Stream Hut


Rations


View from the hut.


The view from the hut door.


Shadow found this box in the dirt by Coal River.

Country Mouse and Shadow

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...