Saturday, February 23, 2013

Old School

February 21st - Day 44
We made great time today on an old farm track passing a few herds of Merino Sheep. Their wool is darker and their ears point down more than the other varieties farther South. Lunch was at Manuka Hut. Another Muster hut. That's one of my favorite parts of this trail. The huts are all different both inside and out. This one had a 1950's dinette for eating. We met two ladies from the North Island hiking (tramping) sections of the South for vacation. A few nights ago they stayed at Felt Hut. This one had an outdoor bath tub with a place to add fire underneath to heat! How cool would that be? A hot bath in the middle of no where with an awesome view.
We finished our planned distance early today and decided to go an extra 1 mile to the base of our next big climb. Tomorrow will be a tough day and so I'll take the extra mile. The clouds are sliding down the mountains around us and the sun has disappeared. After an early dinner we turn in to stay warm. Nightly allotted cookies and chocolate protein are eaten inside. I'm playing John Mayer's new record on the iPhone and lose my count of cookies. shadow said I looked like a chipmunk stuffing my cheeks for winter. As I write this we hear someone yell. Shadow and I crawl out of our tent to see another couple. They are South-bounders from Scotland and decide to camp with us. A small piece of the Appalachian Trail comes to life as we discuss equipment, pack weights, and life outside the trail. If Flute and California are reading this, we are thinking of you both and miss our nightly powwows around the tent site.


Sunrise





Merino Lamb





Manuka Hut at Lunch








The view from camp.


I think we need a bigger bowl.

Country Mouse and Shadow

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...