Thursday, April 14, 2011

One Month Review





I can't believe it's been one month. The days pass slow, but the weeks pass fast. We've turned the blog titles into songs that describe the day. It actually in some cases causes a great distraction. We laugh because throughout the day a blog title can change drastically. For example, yesterday's title started with "I can see clearly now" to "Rain drops keep falling on my head" to "Swing Low". We also figured out a sound we had been hearing since Bryson City NC. It sounds like a someone has started a one stroke lawn mower or maybe an old motorcycle. The sound starts slow and deep, then speeds up as if the engine starts to run, then quits.  Can you guess?  It's Grouse!
A couple mornings back I was putting on my hiking shirt in the tent and I started coughing over the stench. It stunk so bad I had to put it on outside! I tried to air it out the night before, but it didn't help. BJ made a rule that all dirty clothes stay outside. Let me correct that statement, all my dirty clothes must stay outside.

The lessons we have learned could fill a book. A couple examples are:
-If you put your water bladder in your pack right side up you don't get water.
-Topographic maps should be labeled "Artist Interpretation"
-Your not decending until you've stop climbing.
-Time and distance is not relative.
-NOTHING... I repeat NOTHING is waterproof!
-Hot Chocolate is a life saver.
-Don't trust a hiker if he says he doesn't snore!
-Hike your own hike.
-Depending on the day a mouse infested shelter could be a palace.
-No cheerful noises after after mile 12 while hiking in the rain.
-Save the long stories for the downhill.
-Accept the fact that you CAN smell yourself and so can others!
-Who ever invented duck tape should be the leader of the World.
-There is not a Starbucks on every corner.


These blog entries may sound bad, but 99% of the time we are having a blast on our adventure and can't wait to see what's over the next hill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys seem to get wet alot. Line every bag ( sleeping, tent, mattress, pack) with HD garbage bags to stay dry. Every piece of equipment and your clothes should be in a gallon plastic bag. In Virginia the WX will get warm, only carry 2 Qts of water at a time and everytime you pass a water source, "camel-up" by drinking as much as you can without getting sick. These are lessons I learned on the trail!! Hang in there!!!! DZ

Shadow and Country Mouse said...

Thanks for all the advice. It is a process for sure!

Anonymous said...

Hi Happy Hikers,

Capn Shela sent your blog and I've been following it every day but just found out I can send you a message.

You guys in Hot Springs Sunday? If so I think Teri and the kids and I might come meet you if you have time.

Capn Ron

Anonymous said...

So great to meet both of you. Nice that you'll be getting together w/family, friends off the trail. I so admire everyone who's doing the whole thing! What a wonderful experience. All the best from me, "California's mom".

Sheila said...

I flew into Burlington, VT the other day and saw all the beautiful white-capped mountains and thought about the fact that you two will be up in that area in a few months. I hope you time it perfectly for the foliage!
(Got your message- was in Montreal with my phone OFF!)

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...