Saturday, April 30, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust


April 30th - We were spoiled by the Iron Mountain Inn B&B's breakfast this morning. Bellies stuffed, Vicky, the owner, shuttled us plus Flute to the trail head for a 10.5 mile day due to the late start. She took our picture and just started when we turned to leave BJ felt his bag and realized our fuel bottle to cook with was missing. Flute was nice enough to let us borrow hers for the next 50 miles to Damascus. It's more stressful than you would think to keep up with your stuff when everything you carry is a necessity. It felt as though we hiked in a circle after starting and finishing in the same town. The trail made a loop around Hampton, TN.  We spent the day hoofing up a pretty tough mountain and passed a nice waterfall. Ran into a hiker (Bald Eagle) we had met before going the wrong way. I first thought he was slack-packing, but he was carrying a full load so I questioned him. He took a wrong turn from the shelter and was hiking the wrong direction. After a mile or two of convincing, he was embarrassed. Turns out he had done this before. That gave us a pretty good laugh.  Hoping to see California soon.





Country Mouse and Shadow

2 comments:

California said...

If you make it to Damascus before Wednesday I'll still be here. And Wed will probably be a short day, I've learned that's best when leaving town for me. No AT&T here, but I did have signal (barely) from Abingdon Gap 10 miles out.

Anonymous said...

Hey bj and Clara my name is Justin I was one of the guys you stopped and talked to on the roan mt. We talked about the inn on top of roan and how they could only sell beer on the tn side. You gave us the web site and just wanted to let you know y'all have a fan. Keep up the adventure and hope the best ....

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...