Sunday, September 18, 2011

6 Month Review

For our 6th month we hiked 305 Miles.
It was a low mileage month but we expected that due to hard terrain. When you make it to New Hamphire some say that you have made it 90% of the way with 10% of the effort and 10% to go using 90% of the remaining effort.
I don't think the fact that we only have 187 miles to go has sunk in. Maybe once this experience is over will be the only way we can really appreciate its impact. This will be our last monthly review and at some point in the near future I will have not reason to continue my posts. As much of a pain it has been some nights when I was exhaust and just wanted to go to sleep, it was an awesome way for you guys for follow along with us. In the end it will be a great way to remember one of the most adventurous times of our lives. The fact that our friends and family could take part makes it icing on the cake.
As for the last month, it seems that some of those slack-packers didn't make much progress after all. We have been traveling with the same group, plus or minus a few since Pennsyvania. I guess it all evens out in the wash. We have also been seeing our flip-flopping friends. Those who for whatever reason decided to skip to Maine and head back Southbound to where they left off. In looking back, Shadow and I have decided that flip-flopping is the way to go. It takes the underlying pressure to get to Maine before the door closes. That and it beats that summer heat.
I know I've said it before, but the community on the trail is like nothing I have ever experienced. If they are wearing a backpack and hiking a portion of the AT, they are family. I guess sitting down at a table with strangers at a restaurant and talking would be weird in real life, but not here. Shadow said that this trip has restored his faith in humanity.
I want to give a shout out to some friends we have made this month.
Linda (Peppermint's wife), your husband is have a blast out here and brightens everyone around him.
Popeye and Oyl, your comment on our blog was spot on. Shadow said after meeting you guys, that you "spoke his language". Come visit your family in Tennessee and we'll hike Humpback Mtn. with you.


Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...