September 16 Mile 1986-
195 miles to go!!!
The cold front was strong that came through yesterday. I would say that the highest the temperature reached was 50 degrees. With a freeze warning out for tonight. The valley is calling for 30 degrees with the mountains in the 20s. Brrr... No wildlife today, but we managed to get some great views of Maine. We hurried through our breaks and lunch because of the cold and howling wind. Breakfast and dinner was cooked and eaten in the tent. While taking photos of Mt. Sugarloaf, Maine's second highest peak, I looked to the West and thought I saw rain. It wasn't rain, it was snow! With shoes and sock still wet from the day before and wearing all of the clothes we have, we made our way 1,500 feet down a steep rock fall and crossed a river to get to camp for the night. We were lucky that the water level wasn't too high and could rock hop across.
With 7 miles and 2 mountains from Stratton, ME, we lay in our tent, wrapped in our 10 degree down sleeping bags, wearing insulated underwear, socks, hat, gloves, and a down jacket to keep warm. Our tent is much warmer than outside yet we can still see our breath inside.
I'm not sure what this means but my clothing smells like ammonia. I was reading the shelter log today and another girl is having the same problem. A guys back in Virginia said that when your body eats muscle, it smells like ammonia. I'll have to look that up while in town tomorrow. Hikers are also talking about being tired physically. Usually a good nights rest will have your legs ready for another day, but lately our bodies seem to be dragging. I guess we are running low on fat reserves to burn and we just can't carry or eat enough.
Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are Moving!
Exciting News! We are moving to a new website. If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...
-
October 4 Mile 2181- We woke before daylight and packed our bags one final time. We took only essentials to make our pack as light as poss...
-
May 16th- Breakfast for 22 was prepared by our "Localivores" (people that eat locally) at Woods Hole Hostel, and afterward ...
No comments:
Post a Comment