Thursday, September 15, 2011

Grazing in the Grass

September 14 Mile 1963-
I had planned to start the blog by telling you how many moose tracks and scat we have seen on the trail lately and that we are bound to see one soon. As we passed South Pond I looked to my right to see a MOOSE!!! I think I scared her as much and she scared me. She was about 15 feet from the trail eating. When I jumped back Shadow saw her too. The three of us were staring at each other wondering what was going to happen next. Shadow and I grab our cameras, but she turns her head and saunters away before we could get a photo. Can you believe it? Finally!
Just after lunch I didn't think my day could get much better. I was in front heading down the trail when I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a PORCUPINE! I jump, as usual, and told Shadow to watch out. He can't resist tempting the animal just like he did with the snakes before. The tail flicked as Shadow puts his hiking pole close to clear the plants for a better view. I was shocked that the porcupine didn't run. I guess there isn't much danger out here for him and his quills. I squatted close to the ground for a view under the forest floor. He started to move way from the trail and I got a good look at him. He reminds me of my parent's cat "Just Jack" because he looks big with his fur/quills, but is probably skinny if you shave him.
Our last excitement of the day was when we arrived at the Plazza Rock lean-to this evening. Lean-to means shelter in Maine. Peppermint had arrived earlier with some others and said there was a moose up the trail. I convince Shadow to come with me and sure enough one was eating leaves off of the trees when we spotted her. She eyed us and we stared back. This one was bigger than the one we saw earlier in the day. I can't get over the size of these animals. She was like a horse!
Not only was our day full of animal sightings, it was also full of peaceful lakes. First was Moxie pond, then we took a break at Sabbath Day Pond which had a swimming area and a few "camps" on the shoreline. Camps are what Mainers call there second home. Usually it's a small piece of property with a small cabin for hunting, hiking, and fishing. Little Swift River Pond was a place I could live. There was a great camping area with an old spring house and a couple canoes.
We both decided that this was one of the best days out on the trail. A cold front came through last night with some rain, but cleared by sunrise. Tomorrow we go above tree line again for what some say is the best view of Maine on the trail. Fingers crossed for clear skies.


Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...