September 20 Mile 2018-
While Shadow is working on fall number 16, I have lost count. If I were keeping track, today's fall would be in the books. Before I begin you need to add a verb to the AT dictionary.
Turtled: When a hiker falls and ends up on his/her back.
Maine is full of bogs which are basically a swampy area 1-2 feet deep with grass and mud. Moose love these areas. Usual there are 1 or 2 logs laying across them for you to walk. Today we approached one with a note saying that the right log is no longer attached and is floating so stay left. As instructed I stepped on the left log only to find it floating as well. My left foot slipped into the bog. Trying to keep my balance, I put my right foot in the bog, but it was too late. I fell on my left side and ended up "turtled" in the bog. Reaching my right hand up for Shadow to rescue me, I later found out he delayed in helping because he wanted to keep his shoes dry. With a wet backpack, wet shoes, and a wet left side, I recovered and we continued our 15 mile day.
The morning started overcast and rainy as we descended from our last mountain ridge of the trail. We passed Flagstaff lake and Carry pond which were both picture perfect places to relax and enjoy nature. Lately we have had sightings of loons and what we think are partridges (a hen looking bird). Tonight we camped by the trail and ate dinner with the mosquitos.
Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are Moving!
Exciting News! We are moving to a new website. If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...
-
October 4 Mile 2181- We woke before daylight and packed our bags one final time. We took only essentials to make our pack as light as poss...
-
May 16th- Breakfast for 22 was prepared by our "Localivores" (people that eat locally) at Woods Hole Hostel, and afterward ...
1 comment:
I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed keeping track of your great adventure. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Shine On.
Eric
Post a Comment