Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Keep on Chooglin'

September 13 Mile 1947-
I've decided that one of the things I will miss from here is ambient light and how that effects our sleep patterns. When we are in town, artificial light changes the natural sleep cycle. Once again it was 10pm before heading to bed due to the TV and lights.
This morning we had breakfast at the Little Red Hen, the only other place to eat beside the gas station. Meet a few locals that said Andover was a dying town since the milling industry left.
After reading some of the shelter logs recently, it looks as though others are figuring out the secret of the trail and starting to enjoy themselves more than rushing to the end. I'm thankful Shadow and I figured that out in Massachusetts. Hikers seem to be relaxing more and enjoying the ride.
We came upon two red squirrels this morning dropping pine cones from the top of two trees. You could hear the cones hit the branches as it fell 30 feet from the top. They were having a good time before winter. For a second I thought they were throwing them at us.
There's one piece of equipment I wouldn't go without here and thats hiking poles. Especially the ones that have hand grips that extend lower on the pole. These descents would be unbearable without them, plus they are great help in figuring out the depth of they bogs before we walk through them.


Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...