Friday, July 15, 2011

4 Month Review

Mile 1256-
I think I say this every month, but I'll say it again. I can't believe it's been 4 months! The time warp out here is crazy. I guess I think the Earth stopped rotating when we left. Last month we hike 280 miles which is not too bad since we were off 9 days for a family vacation. That leaves 924 miles left. We set our eyes on Sept 24th to be at the base of Katadin. At 15 miles a day, we will be there by September 14. Of course that doesn't include days off, illness, injury, or the fact that we heard that a 12 mile day is big in the Whites Mountains.
It took us about 1200 miles to discover Nutella hazelnut spread. It's a great way to get calories being that 2 tablespoons are 200 calories. You can turn a bagel into a doughnut with that stuff. Most of the time I scoop it with my spork and smear it on a tortilla. On the really warm evenings I have it dripping off my fingers and mouth. I think it's what I will miss eating the most out here.
PA has taken its toll on hiker's shoes. We have been seeing pieces of shoe tread left behind. Shadow just had his Merrell replaced because of missing tread. Frankly I'm shocked we made it out of this state with no poison ivy, Lyme's disease, or damaged ankles.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the trail life has turned into a reality show. Here we are missing out on thousands of dollars by not having a film crew follow this great adventure.
Tune in next month to see who has been voted off the trail.



Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)

No comments:

We are Moving!

Exciting News! We are moving to a new website.  If you would like to continue having receiving emails from us, click the link belo...