July 3 Mile 1134- Headed to the diner for breakfast and found 2 items on on the menu I have never seen before. One was cottage cheese topped with apple butter and the other was scrapple. Flute ordered pancakes topped with scrapple. She described it to be a fatty ham patty. I tried a bite and it wasn't bad. Kind of like a fried hashbrown with ham.Our day of hiking turned out to be an interesting one to say the least. It started with Shadow finally finding an arrowhead. He has been looking for one since Georgia. The heavy rains last night must have washed it up. A few miles later we hear a scream and came upon on a women in her fifties that apparently drove her Hover Round (electric wheelchair) onto the muddy trail. She got stuck, fell off, and had gotten back on by the time we arrived. Clearly intoxicated, we asked to help but she refused. She was covered in mud, holding a flashlight, and had an opened umbrella. We couldn't leave her so we called the Fire dept. to help.This afternoon it was my turn the lead the group. We were all in a trance of boredom when I heard a noise that I didnt recognize. I stopped, looked down, and saw a RATTLESNAKE! I threw it in reverse, plowed over Flute, and ended up on top of her. Shadow was in the rear, saw the whole thing happening and stepped out of the way. For some reason I thought the snake was chasing me so I jumped up and started yanking Flutes arm to get her off the ground and out of the way of danger. Her and Shadow were totally confused until I explained the situation. Shadow being the boy that he is, took his hiking pole and tapped the rock that the snake was on to hear it rattle. Sure enough, that was the sound I heard. I can only describe it as one of those Australian rain stick instruments. Once clear of the rattler we all had a good laugh.4 miles to Duncannon tomorrow where we meet up with some of Shadow's family. Can't wait for some good food with good company.
Country Mouse and Shadow still NOBO (North Bound)
No comments:
Post a Comment